Like the new look or found a problem? click here to report it!

Friday 25 September 2009

Good News

So today was the big day where I would find out whether or not I would be put on the waiting list for a lung transplant. So as mum and I walked into the room I was rather apprehensive as to what was going to be said particularly as I was working so hard to reach the necessary 40kg. So off I went and stepped on the scales and the final number was 39.3kg/6st 3 lb (which they were happy enough with provided it continued to increase) Apparently the average weight for my height 148cm /4ft 8.5in is 45kg-55kg.

So basically the consultant from Freeman Hospital, Newcastle said that there were a couple of things to consider.

Initially there had been a query over my liver as it was a bit enlarged. However after exploring this they were not too concerned. Phew

Next was getting the right mix of antibiotics that would work best for me afterwards if i was to receive a transplant. So the microbiologists in Newcastle have found a couple of good mixes and have just to find the BEST one that will work.

At the assessment back in August they had to check my blood type and it turns out that I am O+ so as this is the most common it will work in my favour if I was to be listed.

So at this stage I was feeling pretty ok about the situation as they had not said anything that made me feel like it wasn't going ahead. However they then proceeded to tell me that there are antibodies in my blood that would mean that 20% of organ donors would be a no go. At this point i was not sure where the whole thing was.

Then after giving me a quick summary the consultant basically told me that if I continued to progress with my weight gain they were happy enough and that I would be placed on the list by… THE END OF NEXT WEEK.

Will Keep You Updated

1 comment:

  1. that is the best news i have heard in ages missy. let me know how u get on.. xox talk soon

    ReplyDelete